2020 CMP Pistol Rules to Support National Matches Pistol Program Expansion
November 14, 2019Civilian Marksmanship Program▸The First Shot▸2020 CMP Pistol Rules to Support National Matches Pistol Program Expansion
By Gary Anderson, DCM Emeritus
The CMP is currently finalizing its 2020 rulebooks. Major changes are being made to the CMP Pistol Rules to provide rules that will govern a planned expansion of the CMP National Matches Pistol Program. The preliminary 2020 National Matches schedule, which is already posted on the CMP website at https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020-NM-Calendar-CMP-Only.pdf, reveals plans for a full week of pistol competitions from Monday, 6 July, through Sunday, 12 July. A draft version of the 2020 CMP Pistol Competition Rules can now be downloaded from the CMP website at https://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-competitions-rulebooks/.
In addition to the traditional Pistol Small Arms Firing School and National Trophy Service Pistol events, the Presidents Pistol Match, the National Trophy Individual Match and the National Trophy Team Match, the 2020 CMP National Matches Pistol Program will offer classical 2700 three-gun pistol championships with both any sight and metallic sights. The week-long program also includes two and four-person team matches, a new revolver match and 22 Rimfire EIC and Service Pistol EIC Matches. The popular Glock Match will be back on Saturday AND Sunday! The 2700 aggregate matches will take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of that week and the National Trophy Matches will be on Saturday. The final day on Sunday, will feature an Industry Day open to any interested vendors, a Pistol pop-up fun match, the Glock Match and CMP As-Issued Pistol Matches. For more information on Industry Day, email [email protected]. Pistol competitors who come to the National Matches will also be able to compete in National Matches Air Gun competitions that attracted 297 air pistol event entries in 2019.
The 24th 2020 edition of the CMP Pistol Competition Rules has been revised to provide rules governing the conduct of all of these traditional and new events. CMP recognized pistol events now include 900 aggregates for 22 Rimfire Pistols, Centerfire Pistols and 45 Caliber Pistols together with rules to define the pistols used in these events. Experienced bulls-eye pistol competitors should find these new CMP Rules to be nearly identical with rules they are accustomed to following.
As part of the process of drafting these Rules, the CMP is seeking input from Pistol competitors and match sponsors before it finalizes them. A draft version of the 2020 CMP Pistol Competition Rules is posted on the CMP website and can be downloaded at https://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-competitions-rulebooks/.
Pistol competitors or match sponsors who have comments or recommendations are invited to send their comments to [email protected]. The CMP expects to finalize and release its Pistol Rules as well as its Highpower Rifle, CMP Games and Smallbore Rifle Rulebooks in December.
The CMP is committed to keeping a full week of bulls-eye pistol competitions in the 2020 National Matches. This will ensure that American pistol competitors can plan to come to Camp Perry on 6-12 July next year and look forward to enjoying all of the pistol competitions and Camp Perry experiences that always make the National Matches pistol week so great.
SUMMARY OF CMP PISTOL RULES THAT ARE NEW FOR 2020:
- Rule 1.4, Table 1. CMP Recognized Pistol Events. A distinction is made between “National Trophy/EIC Pistol Events” and new “Match Pistol Events.” 900 aggregates for 22 Rimfire, Centerfire and 45 Caliber Pistol are added plus a new 2700 aggregate that combines all three 900 aggregates.
- Rule 3.11.4. Classification System. The CMP Classification System is expanded to provide classifications for the new 2700 Match Pistol events. Classification scores mirror those now used by the NRA. CMP classification rules also allow competitors to compete with their NRA classifications if they do not have a CMP classification.
- Rule 4.1.3 c). Approved Service Pistols. Confirms that the new military M17 and M18 pistols are approved for use in CMP Service Pistol Matches and that they can be accurized in conformance with Rule 4.1.2.
- Rule 4.1.4. Other Approved Service Pistols. The Beretta 92X series, SIG Sauer P320 X-Five Legion and Smith & Wesson M10 revolver were added to this list.
- Rule 4.1.6-4.1.9. General Rules for Match Pistols. This is a new rule providing basic standards for pistols fired in 2700 aggregate matches. Pistols may have any (optical) or metallic sights according to match programs. New rules governing Centerfire and 45 Caliber Pistols are provided.
- Rules 5.2.3-5.2.5. Pistol Event Courses of Fire. These rules define new 900 aggregates for 22 Rimfire, Centerfire and 45 Caliber pistols.
- Rule 5.3.3. Match Pistol Three-Gun Aggregate. This rule creates a new 2700 Three-Gun Pistol Aggregate.
- Rule 7.4.2. National Trophy Individual Pistol Match. Provides that juniors who fire this match with 22 Rimfire Pistols may now earn 22 Rimfire Pistol EIC credit points.
- Rule 7.5. CMP National Championship Pistol Events. This rule lists new CMP National Championship Pistol events as follows:
- 22 Rimfire Pistol 900
- Center-Fire Pistol 900
- 45 Caliber Pistol 900
- 2700 Any Sight Aggregate Championship
- 2700 Metallic Sight Aggregate Championship
- Rule 10.3. National Records. This provides for the expansion of the record list to include the new Match Pistol events.