Purchase Eligibility Requirements

Civilian Marksmanship ProgramSales & ServicesPurchase Eligibility Requirements

Requirements for Purchase


By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also U.S. citizens, over 18 years of age (over 21 years of age in some states) and who are legally eligible to purchase a firearm.

To be eligible to purchase a rifle from CMP, you must provide the following:

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, an enhanced driver’s license (no longer accepted as of 2/8/23), passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document (when using a military ID to prove citizenship, must be an E5 or above) that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S. Law enforcement status if you are a Federal officer.

Proof of Age

You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.

Membership in CMP-Affiliated Organization

You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.

If your CMP affiliated club does not issue individual membership cards, please have the club fill out the CMP Club Member Certification Form and return it with your order.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking here. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at (256)835-8455 or email CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you.

In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include:

  • Congressionally chartered veterans’ organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc.
  • U.S. Military services (active or reserves)
  • National Guard, to include retirees
  • Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.
  • The Garand Collector’s Association is a CMP -Affiliated Club. You can download a Garand Collector’s Association Application Form or by visiting the GCA website.

Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition. Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or videos or CMP memorabilia.

Marksmanship or Other Firearms-Related Activity

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship-related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns.

No proof of marksmanship is required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship is required for all ages.

NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

  • Current or past military service.
  • Current or past law enforcement service.
  • CMP or NRA Classification card.
  • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
  • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor). Visit http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=match&task=search to find an upcoming CMP sanctioned clinic or match.
  • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
  • Concealed Carry License.
  • Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. – FFL or C&R license. (Note: An expired C&R license is acceptable to show proof of marksmanship.)
  • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
  • Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.

Legal Eligibility to Purchase a Firearm

The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result.

A signed and notarized form 2A for each customer will need to provided for any item purchased.


If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a certificate, license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your certificate, license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.

Residents in Washington State, CA, FL, IL, HI, NY, DE, NJ, RI, VT and Washington DC must be 21 years or older to purchase a rifle.

Residents in California may purchase one firearm per person per 30 day period.

Residents of New York-  NOW REQUIRES A PERMIT TO PURCHASE ANY SEMI-AUTO RIFLE. This can be added to their firearms permit, but must be on the permit. At this time there are no exceptions. If a person does not already have a firearm permit, it may take a year or more for the person to obtain one.

Residents of NY and OR must have the rifles shipped to a state licensed dealer. You must provide a copy of the dealer’s license with your order form.

Residents of NJ must have the rifles shipped to a state licensed dealer. You must provide a copy of the dealer’s license with your order form. Residents must also provide their NJ FOID card.

Rifle shipments to CA must be made to a State licensed dealer or may be made to individual homes, providing that a CA Certificate of Eligibility and a Curio and Relic License are provided.

Rifle shipments to CT – As a result of CT Bill 1160 and Bill 13-220, which revised CT Bill 1160, all CT customers purchasing rifles to be delivered in CT must have the rifle shipped to a CT licensed dealer or must provide us with a copy of their current Type 3 (C&R) FFL license. We can ship directly to a customer’s home if they possess a C&R license.

Rifle shipments to IL can only ship to address on FOID card.

Rifle shipments to WA must be made to licensed FFL. As of February 2, 2023 firearms can no longer be shipped to a C&R holder. The FFL needs to provide the Pistols, Firearms, Ammunition Dealer License. And the customer needs to provide the I-1639 training certificate.

Rifle shipments to Washington DC – Customer will need to register the serial number with the Police Department once provided and send us a copy of the PD 219 form before it can ship.  

Customers who have already mailed their rifle orders to CMP should provide custserve@thecmp.org with dealer information or order cancellation instructions. Information can also be faxed to 256-835-3527 or mailed to CMP Customer Service, (Attn: FFL Order), 1401 Commerce Blvd., Anniston, AL 36207.

Ammunition Shipment Requirements

Residents of CT – can ship to customer if they have a current concealed carry license.

Residents of CA can ship to an ammunition licensed dealer, FFL, or the customer with a C&R and COE.

Residents of NY has to ship to ammunition licensed dealer or FFL unless customer has a Keeper of ammunition license.  

Residents of Washington DC – Customer will need to contact the Police Department and send us a copy of the PD 219 form before it can ship.  

Click here for Ordering Information.