For the last century, the Small Arms Firing School (SAFS) has been an instrumental source for individuals to delve into firearm safety and competition technique. The SAFS course has been a staple event in the National Matches at Camp Perry since 1918 and has expanded its outreach to other areas of the country through CMP’s Travel Games matches in recent years.
The school is structured toward teaching new shooters (both adults and youth alike), so no past firearm experience is required, though intermediate and advanced marksmen are also welcome to participate. During the course, students will learn basic instruction and firing practices, competition skills and live range firing, as well as compete in a real M16 EIC Match.
Equipment, including rifles and ammo, will be provided. Personal equipment, such as a shooting jacket or glove, will be permitted during the course as well. Participants are required to bring hearing protection and eye protection is strongly encouraged.
Led by certified military and/or civilian instructors, SAFS is a great opportunity to learn more about the marksmanship world in a safe and comfortable setting. For more information or ask additional questions, please contact Amy Cantu at [email protected] or (419) 635-2141 ext 602.
Rifle SAFS’s location and dates:
- Fairfax Rod & Gun Club, Jun 22-23, Manassas, VA
- National Matches, Jul 27-28 – Camp Perry, Port Clinton, OH
- Oak Ridge Shooting Assoc., Aug 24-25 - Oak Ridge, TN
- Camp Ethan Allen, Sept 19 – Camp Ethan Allen Training Site, Jericho, VT
- Fort Hill Rifle & Pistol, Sept 28-29, Keyser, WV
- Oklahoma Cup & Games Matches, Oct 10 - Oklahoma City Gun Club
- Talladega 600 Matches, Nov 19, CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park
2019 Pistol SAFS:
- National Matches, July 13-14 – Camp Perry, Port Clinton, OH